Many famous women have made a name for themselves on the pages of glossy men’s magazines. The most famous of these is the cover of Sports Illustrated, which includes Tyra Banks, Elle MacPherson, and Petra Nemcova.
Of late, favorites of men’s magazines such as Joanna Krupa and Emily Scott have become a household names due to this new media coverage.
Becoming a swimsuit model isn’t quite the same as becoming a high fashion model you see on the runways of Milan or the pages of Vogue. Dummies should be between 5’9 and 6′ and usually have bust-waist-hip measurements in the neighborhood of 3name4-24-34. At the same time, there seems to be a bit more leniency on the swimsuit modeling front.
Beauty is, of course, still a requirement, as is a slim body. In general, a large bust (C cup plus) is an advantage, as is a model’s difficult-to-measure “sex appeal.” While many top models have a quirky look that sets them apart from the rest, bikini models usually have a girl-next-door quality that’s easy to relate to.
Following are seven steps you can take to conquer the world of swimwear modeling:
- Compete in Competitions – Many magazines hold swimwear competitions through various nightclubs and bar venues – this is a great way to get noticed.
- Approach Photographers – Only reputable photographers, preferably previously published in the magazine you wish to appear in.
- Develop a hook – Are you a female mechanic? How about a crazy football fan? These themes can look great in a photoshoot and LOVE magazine crochet.
- Network – Use social networking sites like Myspace and Facebook to learn about locally in the industry.
- Approach Swimwear Companies – And other swimwear-related products. Maybe your friend’s uncle owns a surfboard business or a car company that uses bikini girls in their ads; once you have some photos to add to your portfolio, things get easier.
- Workout – Your body will have to be in top shape to even stand a chance in this market.
- Get Practice – Again, only a reputable photographer! To do TFP work (print time). This will allow you to discover your best sides and serve you well when you start getting paid work and are expected to perform.
Summer Fisher is a former international model who is now a successful swimwear designer, photographer, and stylist.